Say what you will about Martha Stewart's personal life - she (or, let's be honest - someone who works for her) comes up with some tasty recipes. This Grilled Eggplant with Tomato, Basil, and Feta is one of my all time summer favorites.
Grilled Eggplant with Tomatoes, Basil, and Feta
- 1 1/2 pounds of eggplant (Martha says to use one eggplant and thicker slices, but I've used smaller eggplant from my garden with amazing results)
- Coarse sea salt
- Olive oil
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Pine Nuts (I love pine nuts and go heavy on them)
- 1 oz Feta cheese
- 7-8 fresh Basil leaves
- Dash of Red Pepper Flakes
- Slice the Eggplant into long 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Sprinkle the Eggplant slices with salt and arrange them vertically in a colander. The salt will draw out the water from the eggplant, so place the colander on a plate or on a towel to catch the runoff. Let the Eggplant sit for 30 minutes. While the Eggplant is resting, you can make the topping.
- Roast the pine nuts in a sauté pan until toasted and fragrant. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and place in a bowl.
- Cube and crumble the feta into the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Chop the fresh Basil leaves and add to the bowl.
- Sprinkle in the Red Pepper Flakes.
- Mix all ingredients in the bowl thoroughly. Combine the pine nuts once they are no longer hot. Add a touch of olive oil if you'd like.
- Once the Eggplant have rested, rinse the salt off and pat dry.
- Heat a grill to a medium high heat.
- Brush the Eggplant on both sides with olive oil.
- Place the Eggplant on the grill, turning once. Cook until the Eggplant is soft - about 4-5 minutes.
- Spoon the Tomato Mixture on top of the grilled Eggplant and enjoy!
My toddler absolutely loves the Tomato Mixture. All of the ingredients are perfect finger-food size and delicious!